Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Wednesday Poem

In Your Eyes
By Julie McElhinney

They say the eyes are the window to the soul
Where your light should shine from within,
But when I look deep into your eyes
They look darkened and dim.

I see a sadness silhouetted there
That has built up over the years,
A sheen and slight glistening
That is highlighted by your tears.

I wonder how often you might look
Into a mirror of glass,
To see your eyes as they change
As the years continually pass.

Perhaps you do not notice
Or maybe you don’t realize
The sadness that people see
Each time they gaze in your eyes.

I pray for you continually
Each and every day,
That God might give you strength
And that your pain will go away.

Perhaps someday soon
I will glance towards your face,
And see a shining happiness
Full of Gods’ enduring grace.


1 comment: